E and R smiling

E and R smiling

Thursday, November 7, 2013

3...5

Three years old.




Three is a tough birthday for me.  When my kids turn 3, it's like something "clicks" for me.  All of a sudden, they are potty-trained, having conversations, sharing their opinions, picking out their clothes, choosing their own birthday theme, and helping out around the house.  They are big kids.  And, I suddenly realize that life is happening at turbo speed and my babies who I never thought would sleep through the night or wipe their own bottom or clean up after themselves begin to do those things...and they need me less and less.  It is simultaneously beautiful and hard.


This year, Reese wanted to celebrate by dressing in his Iron Man costume, having an Iron Man smash cake, going to the splash pad, and eating dinner at Pei Wei.  We started the day with a special breakfast in a special birthday chair with balloons and "everything" Reesie.





Reesie, we adore you!  You are so smart...and hilarious!  You speak your mind and let us know how you really feel!  You are tough, but very sensitive.  You LOVE Emmanuel with all your heart.  When he is at school, you talk about him, and if strangers come up to us and start talking about you and Moriah Grace, you make sure to tell them that you have a big brother who is in Kindergarten.  You are sweet with MG  and feel the need to protect her, unless she gets too close to your stuff.  You love to wrestle and fight with your daddy.  You punch him as soon as he walks through the door!  You love to get dirty and to go to the dirt park and make me pretend food out of all of the dirt.  You are sweet with your mama...you love to cuddle with her, even though you aren't much of a "cuddler," you love to help her cook (not just baking sweets...but cooking real food!), and your favorite thing to do with her is to take selfies with her phone (without MG getting in the picture).



 You love to crack jokes (this is your daddy's influence), and whenever anybody asks you how you "know stuff,"  you say it's because you are "kindergarten ready."  You have a stellar memory--you have memorized more song lyrics, more scripture, and more directions (get on Briley Parkway to go to Granny's house...turn down this street to get to church), than I could have ever done at 3 years old.  And, I would be remiss if I didn't mention how much you adore all of your cousins, but especially your big cousin, Michael.  He has taken a special interest in you because you all are very similar...both very smart, both very creative, both very intuitive, and both have sophisticated palettes (pass the lobster and salmon, please).





You are also a fighter.  You struggle daily with your asthma, but I am amazed at how you are taking responsibility for your body and learning to watch your body's cues.





Sometimes I forget that you are just 3 because you are an "old soul" like Emmanuel.  I am so excited to see what God has in store for you.  It is a privilege to be your mom.  You keep me on my face before the Lord...you make me better.

Ugga Mugga, Reesie Pooh.   Happy Birthday!

1 comment: