E and R smiling

E and R smiling

Tuesday, November 5, 2013

1...3...5


So,  what is the significance of 1...3...5?  Am I working on a sequencing pattern with my kindergarten to count up by 2?  Am I focusing just on the odd months of the year?  Am I counting the weeks to a grand celebration (like a holiday or birthday)?

No.  1...3...5 are the ages that my children turned this summer.  And, they are also the ages that hold the most significance for me so far in my parenting journey.

1 for me is important because my "tiny baby" (and in Moriah Grace's grace, really tiny, preemie, baby) is now a moving, shaking, opinion-having person.  Moriah Grace was born to us one month early, weighing 4 pounds, 9 ounces and was back in the hospital less than two days after we were discharged.  Her first weeks were spent fighting hard to acclimate to life outside of the womb.  There were nights when I would just sit up to make sure she was still breathing (not in the way the same way that  I sat up to make sure Emmanuel was breathing--that was "I'm a first-time mom--I don't know what I'm doing--is my baby going to make it" check-ins)...these sleepless nights were legitimate because she was legitimately struggling.  I wondered if she would make it.  Would she gain weight?  Would she stop having jaundice?  Would she be able to keep her body temperature on her own?  Would God give me strength to endure with this tiny baby?  Yes, Yes, Yes, and Absolutely!
3 days old 

13 months old 
What a difference a year makes.  At her one year checkup, MG weighed 21 pounds.  She was saying a few words.  She was moving and shaking appropriately (although not walking at 12 months), and she made it clear to her big brothers that she is a force to be reckoned with!

Typically, we have a large party with family and friends and then a day filled with special activities on their actual birthday.  We opted out of the large party this year because (drumroll, please)....we took a trip to Disneyworld for their birthday celebration!  (We actually saved for this trip for two years and it was a combo birthday celebration and "you're transitioning to kindergarten celebration" for Emmanuel.)

MG's actual birthday fell when we were in Orlando.  I dressed her in her polka-dotted party dress that my sweet friend, Natalie, bought for her before she was born.  Funny thing about this dress is that my dear friend, Brooke, brought her the same dress in a newborn size.  So, MG wore it at 6 weeks in newborn size and at 12 months.

6 weeks
   

1 year--waiting for the cake!
MG's smash cake was purple with little white pearls (she has pearl earrings).  

Lovely smash cake on our paper plate from vacation






And while the boys enjoyed their cupcakes and her smash cake...all baby girl wanted was to finally taste some juice!


She was super serious about that juice box (guess she knew she was missing out all these months!)



Happy 1st Birthday, sweet girl.  You have changed our lives forever.  We love the strong, feisty woman you are growing into.  Thank you for all the ways you draw us closer to Jesus. 

We love you.  

(More to come about 3...and 5).

No comments:

Post a Comment