E and R smiling

E and R smiling

Wednesday, June 19, 2013

If you give a man a fish....

The Chinese proverb states:  “If you give a man a fish, you feed him for a day. If you teach a man to fish, you feed him for a lifetime.”  

The wife, Carmen, would like to add:  If you teach the man to gut and filet the fish, the wife will be thrilled!  

It's been a long time since I've written.  I've had plenty of things to say, but no extra time or space to write.  My hope is that I can write more this summer, while Eli is home on break.  Our family is growing and changing in so many ways.  Moriah Grace is 1.  She's as cute and as feisty as can be.  Reesie Pooh will be 3 on Sunday (and 3, might I add, is a tough birthday for me.  I don't cry at 1 or at 2, but 3....3 does me in everytime), and he is so mature and snuggable with mama.  And, Emmanuel will be five in a couple of weeks.  He is bright, curious, funny, and so, so likeable.  Kindergarten, watch out!  

Ok, so back to the fish.  Carl Bean, my cousin and our dear family friend, is a jack of all trades.  He loves Jesus.  He cares about his family.  He hunts.  He fishes.  He cooks.  He cleans.  He is an amazing man. 

Thankfully, we live close enough to reap the benefits of his awesomeness!  One benefit:  teaching Eli (don't worry, I was watching) how to clean, gut, and filet a fish.  

Exhibit A:  The crappie (that's the name of the fish.  I promise, I'm not funny enough to make this up!) 


Exhibit B:  Reese watching intently as Carl Bean guts the fish.  


Exhibit C:  Eli, in the kitchen trying to cut open the fish (Thank you, Carl Bean, for making Eli do some of the work!)




I will interrupt right here to say that there were more pictures of fish eggs and cutting off of heads, etc, but there is only so much blood and guts that a girl can take!

Not only did Carl Bean teach Eli how to gut and filet the fish.  He also taught him a valuable lesson that I've been trying to teach him our whole marriage that my dad taught me:  Clean up as you go!   (I'll let you know in a few months if that lesson stuck).  And, then, for the grand finale, Carl Bean used his 11-spice blend (it's a secret people, I've tried to steal it a million times) to fry up that crappie.  The whole family enjoyed our fresh fish, even baby Moriah Grace.


 (Emmanuel is trying to figure out in the picture how he can steal some of his dad's plate.)

Good times are always had by the Fosters at Carl Bean's house.  

No comments:

Post a Comment